Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Grave Digger's Daughter by Joyce Carol Oates.

I greatly enjoyed reading this novel.The story is that of the Schwarts family that immigrated from Germany to escape the Nazi forces that wanted to extinguish the Jewish (and other) population.The story is told through the voice of Rebecka Schwarts, the youngest daughter- and the only one to be born in America "one of them".The plot had me wondering just who is Rebeca Schwarts and why does she become Rebeca Tignor- and who is Hazel Jones?Those are some of the many unpredictable twists and turns that the novel takes.I did not want to put this book down as I couldn't wait to see what would happen next!
I really enjoyed reading this book and couldn't wait to finish and see what would happen next. There were so many mysterious events that occured in the novel, I never knew what was going to happen next. You could also not be sure of who each character really was-and what their motives were.
I don't want to give any of the plot away though. But I really hope that they make a movie out of this book sometime as it really is that good!

1 comment:

Book Previews said...

Alexandra said...

Thanks for this.
The book has been in my to-read pile for over a month now and I keep avoiding it, for some reason.
Your words encouraged me to prioritize it to the top of my pile and read it as soon as I'm done my current book.
July 22, 2007 12:35 PM